No 6 One of the earliest houses, it was built for Mr John Gorst, a great friend of William Cross, who died in 1825.
No 7 This house was built in 1830-31, by the Vicar of Preston, the Reverend Roger Carus-Wilson. He died here very suddenly on Sunday 15th December 1839, at the age of 47, and so great was the sensation that Winckley Square was full of people incredulous at this tragic news which had spread through the town like wildfire.
The ashes of Mr James Todd, chartered accountant, whose office this once was are interred in the wall of this property. A plaque marks the spot: "J.T. 1863 -1931".No 8 Charles House, the Tax Office is on the site of Mr John Dalton's House. He lived also at Thurnham Hall near Lancaster, and at Avenham House in Preston, which stood at the junction of Bairstow Street and Avenham Lane. As a prominent Catholic gentleman he helped to found St Wilfrid's Church in Preston, and the School in Fox Street.
No 9 The house was built by Mr Joseph Seaton Aspden, another great friend of William Cross. He, too, was in the legal profession and died soon after his friend. He is buried in St George's Church.
No 10 Now in multi-tenancy, is on the site of the Winckley Club, opened in 1846, and exclusive to gentlemen. At the corner of and extending into Cross Street, is the Lancashire County Council's Environment Directorate.
The Literary and Philosophical Institution, later called Dr Shepherd’s Library and Museum, originally occupied it. Next to this was the Free Grammar School for Protestant Boys, originally in Stoneygate but erected here in 1841 and moving to Moor Park Avenue in 1913.
On the other side of Cross Street is Winckley House where once stood a beautiful Italian-style villa, the property of Mr Ainsworth, cotton manufacturer. It was numbered 11 Winckley Square. In Winckley Square gardens, facing Cross Street is the statue of Sir Robert Peel, a former Prime Minister. It was erected in 1852 by public subscription, in gratitude for Sir Robert's repeal of the Corn Laws, for which the people of Preston had long campaigned.
No 12 Once the home of John Humber, cotton manufacturer, this house later became the Headquarters of the Royal Lancashire Agricultural Society and was called Derby House, because Lord Derby was the Society's president.
The Eastern side of Winckley Square ends here. Beyond lies Starkie Street,
so turn right to - The Southern Side of Winckley Square.